Thursday, January 13, 2011

top ten albums of 2010...

well, i'm finally getting around to my annual 'top ten albums of the year' post. i thoroughly enjoy writing this post each year, though it does pose somewhat of a challenge. you see, music is a very passionate subject for me to discuss. at times i become so passionate that i seem to lose myself and become this elitist jerk (who i don't enjoy, and neither do others). thank the dear Lord for my sweet husband who has helped me to change and i can now say i am WAY better than i used to be at controlling my words and opinions on the subject of music. just to put it in perspective, here is Katie 4 years ago:

dude asking me a question after one of my shows: "so ya, my favorite bands are Linkin Park, Lifehouse, and Kutless...you probably like them too yes?"
me (in pompous elitist tone): "um, no. and here are the 28 reasons you shouldn't like any of those bands"... (starts listening reasons) - and let me just clarify that i pretty much ripped all of said bands apart and left him speechless. i know, i'm sure he's a huge fan of mine and my music. hopefully he's gotten over it. i think so, since i still see him from time to time.

m'huz now was m'boyfriend then and he was pretty upset with me. he has reminded me many times since that i should let people like what they want to like and leave my opinions out of it (he reminds me in a nice way, of course). as silly as this sounds, i am grateful for him reminding me of this. now, this isn't to say i don't have strong opinions about what is good, bad, amazing, and terrible music. oh i have them and those of you who know me are laughing right now - strong opinions indeed. one of my favorite things to do is argue with my husband about music - haha. but seriously. it always ends in laughing, so that is good. i am grateful to be married to a musician (who is incredible by the way...they are currently touring Arizona and Texas). love that man.

ok, i really didn't mean to write this long. i was going to list my top ten albums and be done. but as i said, i am a very, very passionate person and this is what happens when a passionate person starts writing about one of the things they are most passionate about - wowwwwwww. i'm done. maybe one more thing...i chose these albums for specific reasons. i don't want to take the time to write a page on each album so if you would like to know why i chose one or more of them - just ask! on that note, here are my top ten albums of 2010 in no particular order:

1. Carney - Mr. Green ---- incredible musicians. Reeve Carney is currently playing the role of Spiderman on Broadway - Bono and The Edge wrote the music for this production.

2. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs ---- knowing all of humanity would buy this record, i was a bit skeptical. it took me about two listens but ya, i'm feelin it. i plan to see these talented folk live this year.

3. The National - High Violet ---- great band. great lyrics. great record.

4. Sandra McCracken - In Feast or Fallow ---- in general, i love this lady...as an artist and as a person. these new/old hymns are powerful. well done, Derek Webb and Sandra McCracken.

5. Kings of Leon - Come Around Sundown ---- i can understand why one would be sick of Kings of Leon at this point in time. that being said, i'll let Chris DeLine's review say the rest for me...i couldn't say it better: "
Come Around Sundown reveals itself to be the first step in a shift toward what made the Followill brothers so alluring in the first place. Sure, there are songs like the oddly placed malt-shop rock of “Mary,” but there are also songs like the vaguely twangy “Birthday,” which is far sexier—lyrically—than anything having to do with someone’s sex being on fire, “We’re gonna come together, we’re gonna celebrate/We’re gonna gather around like it’s your birthday/I don’t want to know just what I’m gonna do/I don’t care where you’re goin’, I’m coming home with you.” If you keep an open mind you’re likely to find a solid mainstream rock album that sounds much more like a product of a band that enjoys “goofing off” more than it does “going to the office.” Time will tell which of the two directions the group takes—whether they chase success or continue the search for soul—but if Come Around Sundown is any indication, the future of Kings of Leon will be just as enjoyable as the band’s past has been."

6. Jonsi - Go ---- anyone who has been completely entranced by Sigur Ros was excited for this record. a side project by
Jón “Jónsi” Þór Birgisson and Alex Somers. just buy it.

7. Sufjan Stevens - The Age of ADZ ---- this man is genius. that is really all i can say without writing 8 pages of why.

8. The Morning Benders - Big Echo ---- i was in love (whoa) with this record from the first time i laid ears on it. this doesn't happen often. i'm a sucker for 1950's pop balladry and since that is exactly what the opening track is - i was bound to be in love. my friend Ellen once described a record as "giving her a tan from the inside out" - that is exactly how i feel about Big Echo.

9. Local Natives - Gorilla Manor ---- led by harmonies. great songwriting. a bit of Broadway, a touch of Motown, and a tang of choir nerd. rare and wonderful.

10. Dr. Dog - Shame Shame ---- i echo the words i spoke of Big Echo: i loved this record from the start. oh the harmonies. of course i love harmonies - i was a vocal performance major - AND i am a music teacher - c'mon. "Jackie Wants a Black Eye" makes me want to gather all of the important people in my life into one giant circle, link arms, and sing at the top of our lungs - about each other, to each other. "we're all in this together now, cause we all fall apart...we're just swapping little pieces, of our broken little hearts."

**with special mention to:
Beach House - Teen Dream
Midlake - The Courage of Others

**also, i need more music this year from Bon Iver, Leslie Feist, Thad Cockrell, and Mindy Smith

9 comments:

JML said...

You are such a bloody music snob. No wonder you and Jeff Greene are friends. NOW, where we agree.... Sufjan belongs in the top ten, as does the Suburbs album bu the Arcade Fire. (AMAZING!) Jonsi makes me smile and belongs up there and I'm glad that I bought you Local Natives. THEY ARE INCRADIBLE. Kings of Leon though? Katie. KINGS OF BLOODY LEON? I'm questioning our friendship right now. Sorry. The rest I'm indifferent to, I have music by all of them, but none of it grabs my attention like Sufjan does.....

Unknown said...

Katie - I knew that I would not have a single clue who ANY of these bands are - or really care for that matter. weird - I know! I have heard the kings of leon CD that you gave Jer for Christmas. It's pretty good! Now I'll have to check out the rest of those albums and find my opinion. and then let you know of course!

rebecca joy said...

Totally agree with The Suburbs, High Violet, Go, The Age of Adz, and Gorilla Manor.

My additions would be:

Broken Bells by Broken Bells, Recovery by Eminem, Flags by Brooke Fraser, A Thousand Suns by Linkin Park, The Head and the Heart by the Head and the Heart, and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West.

Albums from 2009 that feel like 2010: Xx by The xx, Florence + The Machine's Lungs, Mumford & Sons' Sigh No More, OneRepublic's Waking Up, and Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster.

katie henbest said...

Jake Lee - you heard me.

Sis - ha! how i love you. i think you would really enjoy Sandra McCracken's record.

Rebecca - i couldn't agree more that Mumford feels like 2010...but i couldn't let myself put it up since it came out in '09. also, i love The Head and the Heart. they have been to Boise a lot lately!

~TrIsTa AnN~ said...

Bahahahahaha. The best part of this blog is the fact I have only ever heard of ONE of your top 10 =) Kings of Leon of course...
I was waiting for:
Sugarland
Lady Antebellum
Rascal Flatts
Lee Brice
Jason Aldean
ETC....

Did you accidentally leave those off of your list??

katie henbest said...

oh Tris. hahahahahaha. you are too funny. i do love me some Patty Griffin, Johnny Cash, and Willie Nelson though.

katie henbest said...

Rebecca! it turns out Mumford and Sons WAS released in the U.K. in '09 but in the U.S. in Feb. 2010. i feel like i had it before then though...hmmmmm. so, add to list. there are 13 now.

J.R. said...

Great list!

Sandra's latest was in the running for my top 10, and Jonsi's great, but it just didn't have the "blow me over" effect of a Sigur Ros release. Good stuff here though, I will have to check out a few of these.

J.R. said...

Great list!

Sandra's latest was in the running for my top 10, and Jonsi's great, but it just didn't have the "blow me over" effect of a Sigur Ros release. Good stuff here though, I will have to check out a few of these.