Thursday, April 2, 2009

the story of a Walmart parking lot on a Wednesday night.

i wasn't going to blog about this, but i keep thinking about it and getting mad and then laughing (repeat).

i ran to Walmart last night to look for some kazoos...yes, kazoos. as i was walking to my car, about four feet away from me were three teenagers (two boys and a girl) walking to their car as well. the boys started to make comments at me and "hit" on me or whatever. of course i kept walking and didn't look at them but believe me, i hated every word they said. as we both got to our cars, which were right across from each other of course, the girl said, "nah, that's just some skinny a#& anorexic white girl." of course she said it in a booming loud voice, just in case i couldn't hear her from a few feet away. i still didn't look at her or the guys - why give her the pleasure of knowing i was so angry? the thing that bothered me the most about this is that these teenagers were black - and what she said to me was racist - especially the way it was said. now, i have replayed this story in my head ten or twenty times today and really, it makes me chuckle - but she was still way out of line. one time i was replaying the story in my head and i punched her in the face...we all know there is no way that would have happened - but it's a fun thought. ok, not a fun thought, but that is what i felt like doing! what i do know for sure is that it was God's grace that Derek was not walking with me - i feel like things would've turned out a bit different.

there's my story. i don't know why i told it. but i do know that i am thankful God gave me the grace to keep walking and quietly get in my car.

(oh, and thanks Jeff for helping me laugh it off :))

5 comments:

Wife2Jason said...

That is crazy. You handled with beautiful grace! That, of course, only comes from God. Also, it was nice seeing you and your skinny white butt the other day! I wanted to dig out my old Nirvana CD for 3 days after I left!

katie henbest said...

oh yes! ha ha! great to see you too Jackie - miss you!

J said...

This makes me angry. I don't want to talk about it anymore. Except one thing you are amazing for handling that so well. I love you!

Unknown said...

Yeah sis - well done!! I probably wouldn't have been able to control my anger and therefore would have made a derogatory racist comment back - something like, "you can kiss my skinny white butt bubble buns!! I just don't eat fried chicken."

Lindsy said...

You know they're just jealous! Would've been more funny had you punched her in the throat though. Then she wouldn't be able to talk! Ha!