Tuesday, April 8, 2008

sad. very sad.

never before have i hit an animal while driving (not even a squirrel), until last night. it was sad, so sad. a raccoon (and a huge one at that) ran out in front of my car...there was no time to swerve. i screamed (into the phone, which Derek was on the other end of...and he thought i was in a wreck or dying). it felt like i ran over two huge speed bumps. in other words, i hit the poor thing hard. Derek tried to tell me it was ok and at least i didn't swerve and get in a wreck...but i felt so bad. and when i got home, i cried. i just cried and cried. you might think this to be ridiculous. and i would understand.

i remember once when i was a little girl, my family was driving back from a trip and i found a ladybug in the car. i named it and played with it all the way home. and when i had to let it go, i cried and cried. apparently a sensitivity toward animals (and even bugs...with the exception of spiders) has stuck with me.

this morning my dad (being the wonderful dad that he is) cleaned up what was left of the raccoon on the road. i am still sad. i really hope there are animals in heaven.

2 comments:

jeffrey greene said...

duh...don't you know that you're supposed to yield to raccoons. dumb dumb.

J said...

Boo, Jeff is a meanie. I am really sorry. I remember the first time a bird hit my windowshield and I felt like the worst person. I was really upset. But Derek is right...better to hit a raccoon then to have Tee Tee in the hospital.