Friday, August 22, 2008

writing songs of all sorts.

after i wrote that title i immediately thought of Mary Poppins).

music. songwriting. one of the main reasons i started a blog was to write about these things...and i haven't yet, at least not very much. so i am, ok. i decided to start with writing about 6 of my biggest influences in music - truly i could write about one artist a day for the next year probably. but i'll stick with a few...

1. Twila Paris - go ahead, laugh. i did as i wrote it. my love for her songs and music started when i was 6 or 7 i think. i wouldn't say she influenced my songwriting, but my desire to be an artist and write songs of hope - absolutely!

2. Fleetwood Mac - wow i loved these guys as a teen. oh ya, i still do. "when the rain washes you clean you'll know, you will know" - Dreams (one of my favorites of theirs)....to this day when i listen to this song, i immediately go into contemplative what are they really trying to say mode. amazing. cheers to Lindsey Buckingham for being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998...i was proud of you then, still am.

3. Billie Holiday - i remember the first time i sang The Very Thought of You at a talent competition in high school...flirty, playful words, yet lonely chords stole my heart. gosh that Billie, she can sing! i used to try and copy what her voice did in jazz tunes and scatting - never quite got there (surprise surprise)...but oh how i love her. she gave me a love for jazz that would influence my songs ten years later...and still is.

4. Dave Bazan (Pedro the Lion) - i feel like i might need to make disclaimers with this one, but i won't. fell in love with Dave's music in college - started studying his lyrics post college. it is truly fascinating to try and understand the meaning behind his words. his 'story' albums overwhelm me...so many emotions, dark chords, depression, hope, to the unresolved. i met him once...this middle-aged bearded man with a belly...i was really nervous. it was wonderful.

5. Nichole Nordeman - gosh this lady can write. i won't say i'm in love with all she has written, but some of it is, in my opinion, fantastic. take her song Gratitude for instance: "grant us peace Jesus, grant us peace...move our hearts to hear a single beat...between alibies and enemies tonight. but maybe not, not today, maybe You'll proved in other ways and if that's the case...we'll give thanks to You with gratitude for lessons learned in how to thirst for you - how a starry sky offers a better view if no roof is over head...."

6. Leslie Feist - i remember exactly where i was the first time i heard her sing in my ears. One More Cup - March of 2004. a friend of mine said "hey, you'd dig this gal." that was an accurate assumption to say the least. i couldn't get enough of Mushaboom, Now at Last, Gatekeeper (a song i now cover) and Lonely Lonely. so i bought all of her albums up until that point and studied them. i love printing lyrics and reading them over and over...i have notebooks full. Leslie is fascinating to me...truly. from reading her life story i know she has gone through dark times, but she has a way of putting those times into words that make you feel her loneliness...truly feel it. the gorgeous jazz chords of Now at Last take me to a completely different world - one that is very contemplative and in a way, sad. but if i put 1,2,3,4 on immediately following, i'm up and dancing around the room...wishing i was in her music video wearing a neon jump suit. i love this lady. i love that my mom enjoys listening to her...as well as my 3 year old niece. some of her lyrics are so deep...some are so fun. i love both. she has taught me that you can write a fun song - just for fun! wooo! Derek always jokes that he would lose me to the touring life if Leslie ever called and asked me to open for her...it's debatable (kidding love). she is such a good musician and songwriter. now that is inspiration for years. oh, and lastly - Feist recently did a guest appearance on Sesame Street that blessed my soul (partly because i am an elementary music teacher and this would be a dream for me)...watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fciD_II7NI

well, there they are...6 of my biggest influences. i will post more soon - and i promise not to write a book about each one - it's just hard not to ok!

i told my mom last night what i was blogging about - she informed me that my first influence was Elvis Presley. she said i came out of my room when i was 3 and told her i was in love - she asked who - and i replied, "Elvis Presley." so i guess he's in there too. sidenote: i always wanted to marry a musician...always apparently...yessssssssssssss.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

this was interesting! thanks for doing this - some of the artists i was not familiar with so i am definitely going to check them out.

i love nichole nordeman :o)

Tracy Wilde said...

twila??? her music would instantly give me a headache.
our influences couldn't be more different. some of mine are: kirk franklin and the family, bebe and cece winans, janet jackson, mariah carey, sounds of blackness...see the pattern?!?! i thought i was born with some serious soul...

jennifer lee said...

Ellie and I are huge fans of Leslie Fiest's Sesame Street cameo...it gets stuck in your head so easy! I was actually going to post it on her blog in honor of her turning "4". Love your blog!

katie henbest said...

ha Trace! i had to give Twila some credit...i have sang probably 50 of her songs in my day :). granted i haven't listened to her since i was 10 probably, but still.

lady, you do got some soul!

(yes, i loved saying that)

J said...

Are you busy or something? You haven't blogged for awhile. :)

katie henbest said...

not at all Jo! silly.

TheErinB said...

I came across your profile with your music favs, seeing that you like Radiohead and especially Patty Griffin I thought I'd suggest you check out www.erinivey.com